Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Reflection of the Game

The game helped me realize how easy it was for the factory owners. I didn't have to go through the pressure of barely having any money and barely getting by. I made so much profit while my workers got almost nothing. After Round 2 I had made almost $1,300 in profit while my workers made $6 each. It really showed me how hard everyone else had to work. I remember Marjory having to kill one of her sons because she couldn't afford food for him. If that was what life was like then that is horrible. Luckily I was a very nice factory owner so at the end of the day I gave all my money/m&m's to my workers. Something the wealthy owners should have done to help out there workers. I generally had a lot of fun during the game. At times it was a little hectic having everyone fighting over jobs and going crazy over m&m's but it really showed us how little money people had to spend and you could even say helped set us up a little bit more for our trip for community service on Monday.

2 comments:

  1. It seemed as though you you accepted almost everyone who asked for a job. I know in this game it allowed you to make a lot of revenue but I'm not sure whether or not this is the case for businesses today. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rehan, in response to what you asked:

    I think that in the real world there is a lot more competition for jobs, and the employers obviously don't hire a significant amount of people who request jobs. Therefore, in the real world there are more jobless people, however, I don't think there will be a time in the forseeable future in which there isn't a large enough labor force. There are 6 billion people on this planet; the problem is that we can't create enough productive jobs for them to do, not the other way around.

    Also, in the real world there are a lot more employers, and each employee gets a different wage in a lot of businesses (especially for white collar workers, they often negotiate their salary). Lastly, in the real world you don't have as much of a disadvantage based on the cards you are dealt. You still have the ability to succeed through education, and other opportunities you can take advantage of throughout your life. It's not as if there are only three people you get to work for in the whole world. Although people who start with a bad hand have a more difficult time rising to the top, it was as simplistic and unfair as someone getting the '10' card and suddenly becoming the owner of a factory.

    ReplyDelete