Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Creative Story about Manchester

Marjory Marquardt

Hello my name is Meri and my family and I just moved from China. I heard that in the up and coming country of Britain there is more opportunity for jobs. Since my home country of China has an economical crash after the maritime trade boom in the 1500s, my family has been struggling. My husband and our two kids rode 3 donkeys all of the way here. Then in France, the place we original place we wanted to stop, they didn’t like us because we didn’t speak French (oops). SO we went onto a small fishing vessel and crossed the English Channel. We ended up in this disgusting city Manchester. The ground was coated with rats, in fact when we were in the wharf we actually thought there was a brown carpet turns out it was just a mixture of deep sewage and pests. We begin our search for somewhere to live, which of course did not turn out well considering we didn’t have any money. I promised my family that this would be the only night not the streets, or at least I truly hoped it would be. Luckily it was. The next day my children found a gold watch on the street ( I suspect they stole it) but we were all too happy with the money for food and shelter that we didn’t bother inquiring further. Now we have an apartment with a pound rent a month. I cant believe I though England would be any better than China. Here in this shack that they rent out, can hardly be paid for with my husband and I’s rent. We were hoping to educate our children, but they are left to roam the streets while we work in over heated and crowded factories during the day. The worst of it is that we can’t understand everything Gabe (our boss) says and he has no patience to repeat any of it. The words lost in translation usually cause us to get badly injured, which of course isn’t covered by the factory, or get behind on the quota of products we have to fufill every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment