Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Britian's colonies in Africa

Since I did not like my reading...I am writing about a perspective of a British official that is in our book. 

In late 125, a British official spoke on what was occurring in Nigeria, "I shall of course go on walloping them until they surrender. It's rather piteous sight watching a village being knocked to pieces and I wish there was some other way, but unfortunately there isn't." 
After reading this quote, the first thing that came to my mind was the "scramble for Africa." Many countries had some colonies somewhere in Africa. This British official really speaks as a typical soldier because they must do what is necessary for the goodness of their country. Breaking down the poor villages is the worst sight, but this soldier comments about how there is no other option to conquer these lands without destruction.

3 comments:

  1. This is interesting for you to have looked into! But I think that the British soldiers could have come into Africa and they could have negotiated with them. At the time, they felt that they were superior to the Africans. When you said, "This British official really speaks as a typical soldier because they must do what is necessary for the goodness of their country. Breaking down the poor villages is the worst sight, but this soldier comments about how there is no other option to conquer these lands without destruction," I think that at this time this may have been the only option that they thought of but a better option would have been to let the Africans have some sort of a say in this matter because it was originally their land and the place where they were living. I don't really know if what I am saying makes sense but I just don't think it is fair to have your home destroyed by some strangers and then you aren't even given a say in the matter to try to save your home... Again, I don't know but it makes sense in my head! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see how brutal, violent colonization was the only option. He could have left the army, or gone on strike against the colonization of Africa. Can you explain how he had no choice but to commit these violent deeds? I think that it is evil to say that, under the justification of Social Darwinism or in the name of British patriotism, one must conquer those who are "beneath" them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Cy. Violence is never the only option. Compromises and trades can be made. It may be difficult, but there is never an opportunity that says violence is the only option.

    ReplyDelete