Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My Life in the Industrial Rev

Hello My name is Lilly Smith, I am 12 years old and my family consists of, My dad, George Smith, My mom Carol Smith and my twin sister Louise Smith. My sister and I have had to work in the textile business since we were three years old, it has been a rough life. Although it provides us with money to survive, our salary has barely increased within the the last nine years, its insane. My mother and father work in the steel industry because it pays double our wages. We would work there but they do not accept child in their work force. Since my sis and I are twins we share our clothing to save our money. Although we have had a livable life, working is not the easiest and defiantly not what children should be doing. The big industries should be paying more because they do make a huge profit and should raise what they pay there workers, if that happened more often our lives would be much more stress free and manageable.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the big industries should be paying more, but if other people heard that they were paying more, they would quit their jobs at the textiles and come to this one since it had a higher salary. That would leave the less paying industries broke and everything the community had worked for would be destroyed. If keeping all the fares equal, people will split into whatever industry they are most needed at without feeling obligated to leave their job since they aren't being paid as much as others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If one industry started paying more than another one, I think it would create healthy competition between them. The community wouldn't be destroyed, the industries would just feel more pressure to give their workers fair salaries. I don't see how this would have any negative effects because if the wages got to high, businesses wouldn't be destroyed; rather, some people would choose to work for less because they needed to support their family. There is a constant struggle between employers and employees when determining wages. In essence, wages are raised by the competition between different companies (whoever gets away with paying their workers the least, is the most profitable) as well as the willigness of employees to work for X salary.

    ReplyDelete