Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Charlotte Brogden

Hello, my name is Charlotte Brogden. My brother, as many of you may know, is Alexander Brogden. He took after my dads job as the head of the Railroads. He took the lease of the South Staffordshire line and managed it for approximately 6 years with his colleague John McClean. The South Staffordshire line was a railroad that was connected between 3 major cities in England. In addition to my brother, I am married and have 2 kids. Both named Kathryn and Marie. Back where we used to live in the farm, they helped by milking the cows and picking the weeds from their roots. As they did their work, I would work in the fields like a man and do the tough dirty work only men are supposed to do. In order to get the money I needed to pay for my kids' food and my own as well, I had to get the most high paying job I could find. About 5 years after I started working in the fields, the Industrial Revolution happened. My daughters and I were more thrilled than ever before. As a result of this revolution, I was no longer needed in the fields since they developed machines that could do the dirty work for me. With only my daughters at work and me without a job, we decided to move closer to my brother in the city of Manchester. It was a gruesome journey, passing farms and even small factories that were slowly sprouting. We reached the city within a couple of days and I went to say hello to my fellow brother. He was not expecting me to see me, so it was a wonderful suprise when I saw my baby brother excited and delighted to see his family. I told him about what was happening throughout the fields and he told me the word has been all over the news. The new cycle of how to plow crops, without keeping any fallow land, was the most amazing invention at the time. He told me he was working on the railroad, but he knew of some people down at the textile mills that could use a hand or two. They told me they didn't need that many hands, so I decided to put myself as that job and try and give my girls an education. I am so happy we made this worthy move and I would never regret my decision of moving to the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment