Monday, October 5, 2009

Social Contract Theory and Presentation Feedback

Hi,

Tomorrow in class (or as soon as time opens up in the class schedule), I will be giving a presentation on Social Contract Theory (as advocated for by Hobbes, Rousseau, and Locke). I know we've already moved onto the French Revolution, but I haven't gotten a chance to talk about these philosophers yet, and since I didn't get a chance to do my previous presentation until Friday, this presentation ended up getting pushed up to this week.

Also, I wanted to get some feedback from you guys about my presentations. Do you think it is excessive for me to be doing 1-2 presentations per week in class? Do you find them interesting? Would you rather have the class time be spent with Ms. Xia discussing more directly relevant material (such as things that will be on the test)? Should I post video blogs on Youtube instead of in-class presentations? How can I improve my presentations as a whole? Feel free just to leave a comment on this blog post. I won't be offended if you think my presentations are boring, or a waste of time, but at least if you are going to comment then take the time to put some thought into what you have to say.

Thanks,

-Cy

5 comments:

  1. i think that your power points are quite stimulating and so long as they stay on topic and add review slightly what we are learning in class while still branching out i think they are good. Keep it up, and maybe even leave some time for discussion/feedback at the end if possible

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the power points can be very informative, but sometimes they run a little on the longer side. One of my suggestions is to limit comments from the rest of the class because most of the time with your presentations, one person will have something to say and then 5 others will disagree and then everyone just starts yelling at each other and there isn't much of a point. If you limited comments from the class, it would give people who feel very strongly about your presentation one way or the other a chance to make a presentation of their own the next day.
    If you posted vlogs i think that you would be able to talk about things for a longer amount of time, but i'm not sure how many people would actually spend their time watching them. No offense, i just don't think people watch the vlogs very often.
    In general i think that the presentation are really well done and you should continue them as long as they don't take up too much of the rest of class and don't get out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think your presentations are always interesting and very informative. you usually relate your presentation to what we are doing in class, and are very enthusiastic in the presentation, and you have strong opinions that you share with the class that i find stimulating. length wise, they are a little long, but you always have a lot to say. you could improve your presentations by taking comments and questions from the class at the end so you aren't frequently interrupted. i agree with dylan that if you made a vlog, you would have more time to say more information and go more in depth, but i think that only a few people would watch your vlog, so then it wouldn't be as helpful as your presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (revised comment)

    Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate your sincerity.

    It sounds like one thing I should do is shorten the presentations, which I will. Also, Dylan, if we could manage to have a conversation that stayed focused on one topic without going off on a bunch of tangents, would that be worthwhile? Or would it just be better to not have discussions at the end at all?

    I could be wrong on this (feel free to let me know), but I think that the discussions are an important part of my presentation. Take the presentation I did today as an example. A lot of the people in the class might not have fully understood what a social contract was, and I hadn't realized that my presentation was unclear at times. So, I think that the discussion we had after the presentation (although it took up about 20 minutes of class time) was worthwhile because it helped people understand what social contract theory was, and we learned a lot more about the different philosophers of the French revolution.

    ReplyDelete