Saturday, October 24, 2009

Napoleon Trial

I am unsure if Napoleon supported the ideals of the Enlightenment. I was not able to participate in the trial and therefore wasn't able to hear the other side. I researched information targeting information saying he supported the ideals. I found in my research that he tried to support equality. In the attempt to establish equality, he had to exchange some of the peoples rights in order to establish equality. In our textbook, it said that he "tamed the revolution" and "preserved the moderate elements" like religious freedom and the secular law code. But many of the Enlightenment thinkers thought different things about the government. Napoleon was emperor at a certain time and three of the four Enlightenment thinkers thought that just one ruler was not an effective way to rule society. So in this case, Napoleon went against what they believed about the government. So as of now, I am not convinced of one side.

No comments:

Post a Comment