Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Extra Credit Post

Extra Credit Blog: What interesting facts did you learn through the trial preparation process? Why do you think it is interesting? Did you learn anything beyond historical knowledge? (skills, research strategies, etc)

Throughout the course of the Napoleon trial, I become much better affiliated with the step by step process of a trial. I have only done one event like this before and had previously found it fairly difficult to follow, however I feel that due to the fact that the study of Napoleon caught my interest greatly, I was able to better grasp the concept of the trial. I discovered that in order to be successful in the roles one is playing in the trial, it is crucial to come to the stand extremely prepared. In order to both feel and appear to be better educated on the topic of discussion, one must be well educated on the matter. However one cannot feel comfortable with the side they are defending and must become well associated with aspects of the opposing side.
I felt particularly interested in this topic because I have had an interest for Napoleon and his reign of power from a young age. When I was little I visited Filoli gardens quite often, and remember there being an exhibit distinctly about him. From then on he and his actions have been of primary interest of mine, which surely factored into why I have enjoyed this unit so avidly. As for the actual process of the trial, I enjoyed that as well. I enjoy working on group project because I think it is nice for us to have a break from doing the usual presentation watching/note taking class. It allows us to work as a team while using the knowledge gained from the class, resulting in successful performances such as the trial.
In terms of skills and research strategies, as I mentioned earlier I feel that it is necessary to be extremely prepared for the trial. Whether one is a witness, a cross examiner, or making the opening/closing, showing up knowing your topic is what truly impresses the jury/opposing side. While I was a member of the jury, I remember being most impressed by those who came across as well educated on their topic and presented their argument with confidence. Presenting with a strong base of knowledge as well as projecting concisely and confidently are two crucial traits that I learned all members of a trial must strive to carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment