Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thomas Edward Shirley

Thomas Edward fought in World War One and he had a diary from 1917-1918.

July 2nd, 1917

This morning we were routed out of bed about 7:00 after a good deal of crabbing by Robbie, and finally the chief. Frank Grady is officer of the day, and he put me to work building road. We did this until about ten than I got shaved and washed up. I really got some hot water and got my face and hands clean for the first time in two weeks. I have got to get a bath somewhere pretty quick as I haven't had one for 3 weeks. I had been waiting to get it in Paris. Now I get one the 1st town I go into.

I have been thinking of the people at the Hill all day, and while I'm not home sick, I wish like Hell that I was there. I can't yet realize that it really is summer and that I am missing all those wonderful times that I have had all my life at the Hill. As yet only my one letter from Elisabeth. I have begun to give up hope of ever getting another letter from Frances. The meal to-day was the best we have had yet. String beans and the meat was fairly good. At roll call this afternoon we were told we could go to the Villa Cotteres to make what purchases we could. We went there and bought about everything possible. I bought an apprecot pie. The 1st pie since I left home. The chief who wanted to go worst of all was-*-- left behind through a mixup in the cars. I got his shoes fixed for him as he left them in one of the cars. A few of the boys were pretty happy coming home. I didn't get my bath which I wanted most of all. I took a cold shower last night at which I nearly froze but felt like a king afterwards.

Citation:
Thomas Edward Shirley <>

No comments:

Post a Comment